Monday, April 6, 2020

Life from home going into week 4

We enjoyed conference weekend from home as usual which was the only thing usual about this time of Stay at Home life.  I went shopping on Thursday so the pantry items came out of quarantine on Sunday.  It sure is nice to have plenty of food in the house in case we develop an active case of CV-19 and need to stay home.  I imagine we could call on our ward family to drop off anything we run out of.  The kids paid better attention than in years past.  It is interesting to watch them grow and have these semi-annual markers to compare their growth and development by.

I've hoped to get a 12.9" ipad for M to use as a piano music library for a while now, but that's a pretty expensive tool.  Meanwhile, my movie making ability was suddenly restored as my computer decided to let me use iMovie last weekend.  It was nice to make 2 movies and then after making a 3rd, I made a mistake.  I tried to edit the audio and...crash.  Still it was nice to make a movie after so long.

P had installed a more recent version of iMovie but it would crash when I tried to add the audio so I only had made 1 movie with it. 

I had late night inspiration that if we got a bigger, newer ipad, we could upload pictures to it and make movies from it.  I imagined uploading the season folder I would be working on would take up a lot of space, but still be OK.  Plus,  M could use it for piano.  P approved the purchase and it was ordered. 

When it arrived, I set out on syncing it with the computer but the photos were set to icloud upload and our darth vader computer doesn't have the newest operating system on it, so no icloud.  I was distressed thinking we'd made this big purchase and now were not able to use this function.  P is such a good sport.  He didn't get upset, just kept moving through the day.  I had more inspiration to notice that the words "icloud upload is turned on" suggested that the icloud storage could be turned off.  I went to the settings in the ipad and found how to turn off icloud upload.  Wonderful!  The photos could now be synced with a usb cable.

The new ipad has a gigantic amount of storage, so the entire photo library for the last 15 years only takes up 10% of the storage.  The music library can also be loaded, but I didn't choose that.  It is so neat to be able to scroll through the old pictures.  I have really beautiful children.

We spent a lot of time Sunday watching family movies.  The kids hadn't watched them in a long time.  I inventoried what I needed to catch up on and it has been 3 years since I made regular movies.  Yikes!  I used to do a movie for every month + subtitles to describe what was going on and transitions.  As I lost that functionality in the iMovie software I started doing season movies instead of monthly movies.  So I really only have 12 seasons to catch up on.  Ack!

I'm excited that the kids can start making movies as a creative endeavor again.  I feel that we were led and blessed in this effort to create family movies by the spirit.  It is an important part of creating a fond memory of our family.  I'm very grateful for it.

Here's the first movie I made on the ipad!

No comments: