Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Corona Virus Grocery Shopping

I went shopping today for the first time in 2 weeks.  It went well.  I got everything I needed!

Because I'm trying to go to the store very infrequently so I think about what we need all the time.  I make a list and then organize it by area of the store.

When I'm at the store I wear a pair of non prescription glasses, a face mask, rubber gloves, a tool holder for my credit card, so I don't have to reach into my pockets, and carry a bottle of hand sanitizer.   I bring a few clorox wipes to wipe down the cart, even though I'm wearing gloves and will sanitize the food.  It's like Gwen, on Galaxy Quest; I have one job, it's stupid....  All these steps just help me manage the anxiety of going out and staying vigilant.

I went into Save a lot, I love Save a Lot, and got most of my groceries.  I forgot to bring in my list so I went back to the car with a full car to pantry goods, then went back for another cart load of freezer and other things forgotten.  It was nice to break up the huge trip into 2 carts so each check out was more normal-ish.  It's so weird to me to see people just buying 1 day worth of food, or a few items.  Why not plan ahead and only go out once a week or less?  Not everyone can.

I was hoping to get toilet paper and Save a lot didn't have any.  I was prompted to go to Family Dollar and was able to get the last 16 roll pack.  They had a limit 1 per customer policy.  In times like this you don't even look at the price, you just get what you can and are grateful.

I used more hand sanitizer, brought the food home and then started the sanitization process.  I kicked off my shoes so I wasn't bringing them into the home, and got out of the car barefoot.  I put my mask, and pouch into the washer.  I changed my clothes.

Save a lot doesn't bag food so I had everything loaded into bins, cold, and shelf stable.  I doused 2 towels with 409 and began wiping down the cold items and putting them into laundry baskets that M took and put away.  lP and B helped some too.  I used paper towels and 409 2 weeks ago but they didn't hold up well.  The towels were much easier to use and encompassed the packaging better.

bananas wipe down
carrots wipe down bag
cabbage leave in the car quarantine
broccoli wipe down bag
apples wipe down bag
lettuce wipe down bag
cilantro did not find : (
onions leave in the car quarantine
Yogurt wipe down each container
Cheese wipe down bag
Sour Cream wipe down each container
Butter open box and pour contents into freezer
Eggs wipe down each container
Milk wipe down
cheese crackers leave in the car quarantine
Chicken wipe down bag
Ham wipe down bag
bread  leave in the car quarantine
buns leave in the car quarantine
canned carrots did not find : (
Marshmallows wipe down bag
Sugar leave in the car quarantine
flour leave in the car quarantine
baking powder leave in the car quarantine
cinnamon leave in the car quarantine
Soy sauce leave in the car quarantine
Olive Oil leave in the car quarantine
Salt leave in the car quarantine
Pickles leave in the car quarantine
pineapple leave in the car quarantine
relish leave in the car quarantine
Salsa leave in the car quarantine
pretzels leave in the car quarantine
rasins leave in the car quarantine
Conditioner leave in the car quarantine
wings wipe down bag
tater tots wipe down bag
checkers fries did not find : (
oJ wipe down
frozen broccoli wipe down bag
TP wipe down bag
ice cream wipe down each container


On a day where I go to the store, I don't have tons of emotional energy for other things.  I'm so preoccupied with what I need to do and the steps to feel like I'm protecting our family.

I'm not worried that we would die if we caught Covid-19.  But it could be very unpleasant and if anyone had to be hospitalized, it would cost thousands of dollars, even with excellent insurance.  I'm so grateful that our family is minimally impacted by this.  We have income intact, 1 parent already taking care of children, isolated home with outdoor spaces to enjoy, homeschooling continues on, piano lessons via videochat.   We rarely went out to eat anyway.  We are so blessed.

No comments: