Thursday, July 11, 2019

Cleaning the Roof

Today we went to T park from 10-11.  A friend from sign language class happened to be there and we spent the time chatting while the kids played.  It got hot and they were happy to go home.  Summer fun.  Taking them out daily is a goal I try to keep up on.

The leaves and pollen were collecting on my beautiful metal roof.  I swept them off last year but it was kinda precarious and I was putting it off this year.  Today I reviewed my plan with P and he advised that I use a broom instead of a rake.  So after feeding the kids lunch I got the ladder and headed out to battle the debris.   I set the ladder up against the gutter and swept the leaves within 5 feet of the gutters.  Then I headed to the back of the house with the ladder to go up on the roof.  I found that if I kept my feet facing down the slope I could keep positive pressure and felt surprisingly nimble.  I worked my way down the roof pushing the leaves toward the edge.  Having previously cleaned the last 5 feet, I could just shove the upper leaves down and they would scuttle off the edge.  Yay!

I cleaned up and within half an hour it rained a torrent.  The screened porch has a tar roof that boils in the sun.  As I type the steam is rising off the roof and blowing past the gutter.

No comments: