Sunday, March 31, 2013

proximity

We belong to a geographically organized church.  In general, you go to the congregation, determined by where you live.  I've know a few situations where people didn't follow this rule.  A teenager from another ward, came to the ward of my childhood because some boy in her home ward was stalking her.  For 2 years we attended a ward 2 hours away because of a language need.  Even know, we are just barely out of boundaries for the deaf ward, by like 100 feet.

I've fallen out of the habit of friendship.  Bummer!  I've been reading about marriage and thinking that when we let other relationships wane because of marriage, that's putting all your eggs in one basket.  Also, it's demanding that all your emotional needs be met by your spouse.  Even in a great marriage, that's asking a lot.

I have a friend in "the other ward" whom we are still close to.  We attend the same homeschool group.  M now takes piano lessons with her. 

I don't know why I have such a hard time maintaining friendships with people I love when we don't go to church together.  It's not like I even see people in my current ward.  I see the children, teachers, and my presidency.  But that I am sharing the work of this ward, binds me to these people.

Choir... that's the real glue.


No comments: