Thursday, November 5, 2020

Newer dryer

 This morning as I got up at 7 to go walking, I smelled a little smoke near the front door.  I tracked it down to the garage that was full of smoke.  I just stuck my harm into the garage, opened the garage door, then walked around the house so the smoke wouldn't come into the house.  The dryer was ajar with wet clothes, but very hot body.  I let P know the situation and then went on my walk.

At the north side of the block I decided I better go home and supervise in case it was an electrical fire and I shouldn't be gone for an hour...  I turned off the fuse for the dryer and went into the house. 

When P woke up we shopped Marketplace for a used dryer.  The ad suggested it was just 2 miles away, but it turned out to be in Julington.  Oh well.  P was impressed with the pictures showing the unit all cleaned in and out.  So we drove up and got it around 10:30.  After dinner we cleared the space around the dryer to make it possible to switch it out tomorrow night when P has more time.  

6 years ago the washer died and we had to go to the laundry mat for a few weeks.  That was rough.  I'm grateful we had more repair funds this time around.  The good and bad of being committed to no consumer debt is that if you don't have the money, you can't buy it.  I'm so grateful for that, even though there has been some tight times.

This dryer that died, let me give a warm eulogy to it.  It was old when it came with the condo we bought in 2004.  It was from the 80s, almost as old as me!  After we moved from the condo, the renters complained about the dryer, so we traded it out with our new maytag dryer.   P has fixed it several times, buying parts easily at the appliance repair store.  It has served us well for 13 of the last 16 years.  Good job Dryer.

Everything about this year is crazy.  The pandemic.  The election.  My mother's sickness and death.  2020 for sure.

No comments: