Sunday, December 17, 2017

Growth opportunities

 Yesterday we went up to Jtown and watched these folks do a terrain race.  The kids love the ninja warrior shows and I thought they'd really enjoy people doing those sorts of feats in person.

 They had a good time and hope to do one of these courses themselves someday.  I was really inspired watching the participants reactions to the different obstacles.  Some just dove in and did their best.  The monkey bars were a beautiful challenge to watch.  So many tried and even if they fell in the water after just a few rungs, they tried.  Others didn't even try.





This mud pit was very interesting because the runners couldn't see it until they'd charged over the mound of dirt.  Many who took the challenge on slipped and fell in.  Some took a cautious approach and lifted the bungee cords up so they didn't have to get too dirty or wet.  Some walked around.  I felt sad for the people who didn't even try.
 I thought of how these obstacles were a lot like the opportunities for growth that God sends us daily.  We receive promptings to do hard things.  What are we going to do about it?  Are we even going to try?  Are we going to do it, but complain about it?  Are we going to dive in and have a good laugh over how gross it was but feel good that we DID IT!
 We picked up E and brought her along.  The kids didn't sign much.  G read his book a lot and M and P didn't sign much.  I scolded them a lot about that.  I let them know that they were wasting a chance to build relationships and serve one of God's children.  I don't believe that kids have a right to not include people.  I think that's a really toxic attitude, and we've been excluded plenty.  My answer to the universe is to be a person that includes others.  I am the only person that I am actually in charge of.  I am responsible for my children and don't want them to grow up self centered. 


No comments: