Thursday, February 27, 2014

Drying out piano books that have been through a deluge

M forgot her books on the swing set at her piano teacher's house.  We could have gotten them the next morning but we didn't.  And then it rained like the end of the world.  So we stopped by on the way back from group and found the books.  Luckily they were on a platform, so they were just saturated, not muddy.

I brought them home and did a bit of quick research.  The idea of freezing them appealed to me, so I froze them and did more research.  All of the books were staple bound, so after freezing them to prevent mold, I found it easy to take out the staple. 

I tried warming them up in the oven but the rack created too much trauma.  So I microwaved them for about 2 minutes.  I wanted them to be pliable, and maybe warm.  The microwave might have been the best for total dry out, but I didn't want to start a fire.  So I took the wet pages and laid them out in a bedroom we weren't using.  Then I turned on the fan and let them sit for 2 hours, then flipped them, and let them sit for another 2 hours, or overnight...

After they were all dry, I put them back in order.  I did make M put one back in order.  The covers were weakened, especially the ones I warmed in the oven.  So I reinforced all the spines with that terrible tape that has fibers in it.  I need to buy some good packing tape.

I used my mom's long arm stapler to put everything back together.  Then I put thme under a dictionary and big box for a few days.  They're not good as new, but useable.

No comments: