Thursday, March 4, 2021

Connector

 When I read Malcolm Gladwell's "Tipping Point" I identified with the idea of being a connector.  I am so grateful for the people who connected us with services, a home, free stuff, and all sorts of good ideas.  I am often tempted to give unsolicited advice, but sometimes I am a connector.  

An acquaintance expressed a dilema on the facebook and I suggested that perhaps hospice could send a nurse to the home.  "Hospice isn't just for end of life care.  I didn't know that until I knew that."  I felt pretty special for having that tidbit of information that she seems to be running with.  This lady is very well connected and usually has hundreds of comments and likes/hearts for her posts.  

When G was sick, we were signed up for hospice and that freaked me out.  But it was hospice who helped get us admitted when G was super dehydrated and we didn't have to go through the ER.  Hospice also sent nurses to visit us at home or during admissions.  They were really sweet women and I'm so happy we were enrolled in Hospice. 

During my mom's end of life care, hospice provided nursing, medicine, and equipment all for free.  I am really grateful for hospice.

I attended a Welfare training meeting for the church on Tuesday.  I was struck by how little the leaders present knew about social services that could be recommended to families in need.  Church funds are great for keeping families from want while they apply for food stamps, or get a new job.  We don't ask the church to school people's children.  They send them to schools paid for by tax payers, or they homeschool them.  The church does not provide home loans.  There are banks and government organizations backed by tax payer dollars to make that possible. 

Through my own experience I know some things that other church leaders don't know.  To me it is not responsible for people to be on church assistance long term.  We have decent government services that provide funds for food, housing, medical insurance childcare, as well as civic organizations to help with so much more.  If someone is more comfortable accepting help from the church, that is inappropriate.  To me, seeking appropriate government assistance is part of self reliance.  

Someone I know has told me repeatedly that they are not in favor of paying for other people's college tuition.  She thinks that's entitled.  She feels that by paying for her husband's school and her children's school she's done enough.  Several of my family members were against government assistance but they were OK living in mom's basement.  Not everyone has a parent paying for college.  Not everyone has a family support structure.  

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.  Do unto others as you would do unto your own child, and wish that others would do unto them.

No comments: