Sunday, August 18, 2019

Four Agreements

I was assigned to read "The Four Agreements" by my therapist and it was revelatory.
The book started kind of mystical but once I got used to how the words were being used, it became engrossing.  The four agreements are how we choose to see the world, no matter what others choose.

1. Be impeccable with the word.
2.  Take nothing personally.
3.  Assume nothing.
4.  Do your best.

I'll post about each one from the twenty pages of notes I took while reading the book.  It is a simple enough list to cover so many aspects of interpersonal drama.  I'm very grateful I am learning how I can be better than I knew I could be.

"True injustice is paying more than once for each mistake" (p.12)

Fear and guilt make this life hell, now. (p.14)  The book of laws we have been taught since infancy blinds us to the truth and beauty around us. (p.16)

"We have learned to live our lives trying to satisfy other people's demands... live by other people's point of view because of the fear of not being accepted and of not being good enough for someone else." (p.17)


No comments: