Tuesday, July 28, 2020

200 days is hard

When P was called into the bishopric we went shopping for suits.  While waiting for him to try on suits I found a blue velvet jacket that I thought looked great.  I challenged myself to go sugar free for 200 days to get that velvet coat.  My first attempt ended after 101 days over a blueberry cake.  My second attempt ended yesterday, at 118 days, over some peach cobbler.  I don't have a hard time avoiding the obvious sugars, like ice cream, candy, cookies or doughnuts.  It's the home made things with not as much sugar as the recipe calls for things, that I justify, until I've broken my resolve.

I'm open with the kids about my efforts and hope they will see in my example that I'm not perfect and can try again.  And ultimately, I hope they will believe that they can try again too. 

My first attempt, I just calculated my finish date and set off without any other effort.  On the second attempt, that started right as quarantine began, I printed a chart  with 200 boxes, and I wrote in the dates, but not on a daily basis.  For my 3rd attempt I'll be keeping a food journal in a school planner I got from the Dollar General.  Conveniently the calendar starts July 27th, yesterday.... and I'll keep a food journal and mark how many days it has been. 

Improvement and progression is one eternal round.  I love that I can still grown and develop healthier habits.  I am not finished. yet.

No comments: