Friday, August 30, 2013

New Stuff...

 This is P's new toy.  He's joined the community band and wanted a folding bench for him and the beast (our tuba).  We ordered one that could accommodate them both and it is "robust!" and not easy to carry with the tuba.  So we devised this set up using a back pack from the thrift store.  It is really great! 

On that subject of New Stuff and New to Us Stuff...

Tonight M told me that some of the kids in her class at church got new clothes for church.  Then she asked me "Why didn't I get any?" 

Oh break my heart!

I was the most materialistic in my family growing up.  I cared about those annual spending rituals once upon a time.  But over the last 20 years they matter less.

I asked G if some of the kids got new things for school and he named all the kids.  Yeah, G was aware of it too.

So we had a talk about how our family tries to avoid debt and waste.  We talked about how we just got a baby, a van and a piano.  Those things were more important to mom and dad than new clothes.  I brought up President Hinckley's "Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, or Do without." [gratuitous capitalization because it is free]. 

I warned them that people like to brag about their nice things to make themselves feel good about themselves.  I told them that they are children of God and don't need things to make themselves feel worthy. 

M cheered me with her understanding that we do buy things we have the money for.  "If you don't have the money, don't buy it!"

G cheered me with his new found understanding of avoiding debt (Thank you "Act Your Wage").

I hope they can grow up knowing they have everything they need.  Sheesh, living in this house, could they still think they are growing up poor?  And there is my hypocrisy.  I eschew worldly things like buying new clothes and shoes for the school year, but I live in this house and use words like eschew.
I couldn't even spell hypocrisy and had to look it up, but eschew I got the first try.  Nice.

No comments: