Tuesday, August 20, 2013

ears to hear and hair to wash




We've been trying to catch up after some busy weeks, some sickness, and going back to school.  Cousin A was visiting and the grandparents took the kids to disney.  So cool! 

We had a family policy to only take one child to any amusement park so it wouldn't be a waste of money.  Then back in 2010 we got $5 tickets to Legoland.  lP was free, so our whole family went for $20!  We figured we'd done that and were no longer obligated to take G to a park when he turned 7 as we had planned.  Why 7?  Because we didn't want his baptism at 8 to be overshadowed, and didn't want to wait until 9.

So this was very cool that the kids got to go and be spoiled with their grandparents.

This past week a young man spoke in church.  He's preparing to go on a mission.  He's been called to Peru.  He took it upon himself to quote from Elder Uchtdorf, and also to invent a pronunciation for the name.  It's not like we're talking about Amlici.  This is a member of the first presidency who speaks at every general conference this young man has probably ever paid attention to.  Or not.  Ears to hear people...

And on the subject of amazingly oblivious people, don't call DCF on me!  I just realized that my daughters need shampoo and conditioner.  M is 6.  She never had any hair for the first 2 years, then for the next year it was amazing and never even needed combing (I thought.  Please don't tell me otherwise).
Then we cut it and it was never tangled.  Then she cut it and I had to cut it even shorter to make it look sane.  So finally in the last 4 months it's been getting long enough to get tangled.  LP's hair has also been going through this strange phase (as I thought of it). 

I felt so happy when I realized that I could use this fabulous cream on their hair to make it not get so tangled. 

Then G went back to school and I realized that my kids hair is dry and tangled because I was still using baby shampoo on them. 

Having 4 kids was pretty easy until this past week.  I had a minor mastitis infection and a few things that were eking by were let go.  Then all of a sudden I realized I couldn't just play it by ear.  These kids needed things that I could only give them if I planned ahead! 

So I'm trying to have a weekly calendar.  I will look at the monthly calendar and write down what needs to be done.  Things like, wash the laundry on Tuesday.  Eat lunch every day.  Pick up G on Wednesday. 

Having P work from home is wonderful and he is so helpful.  On the first day of school I had meant to take G to school.  It would be so fuel efficient to drop him off on our way north for a planning meeting.  But after 2 nights staying up too late working on Primary stuff, and another staying up trying to deal with the mastitis, I was dragging.  We were trying to get up and go, but it was not pretty.  In swept P from subbing for seminary.  He is very handsome in a white shirt.  He took G to school and bough me another hour to get everything/everyone ready for our trip.

Today I was so with it.  Breakfast for everybody!  Snack/lunch at 11.   Then I prepared pb candy so G would have a snack when we picked him up.  We even went to the thrift store before we went to the park.  Then we even went to Publix!  It was like epic how planning the day meant we had more time.  I also didn't let the kids do media until after 3:30 when we go home. 

I'm trying to be present with them more.  I have a bad habit of nursing B as I browse the internet.  Since the kids aren't allowed in the kitchen or office without permission, they are very effectively cut off from me.  So I'm limiting myself to 1 morning and 1 evening computer time.  And otherwise I need to be out with them.  If I'm nursing B I can read a book on the couch, or lay down in G's room.  "I want to be, where the people are..."

So, it was a great day.  I'll have to post on the awesome finds from the thrift store.  We haven't been for months.

No comments: