Friday, October 20, 2023

Preparing for the GRE

 I have been preparing to take the GRE so I can apply for grad school.  I borrowed a GRE book from the library for several weeks.  I have been taking the practice tests with the scheduled test I will take next week.  If that doesn't go well I can try again in a few weeks.

I have started the application for grad school.  I wrote to 2 past mentors asking if they would write a recommendation and haven't heard back from them.  I realize that there are many people I can ask though.  It doesn't just have to be these 2 or 3 people who are so specifically able to recommend me.  I can have co-workers like ladies I served with at homeschool or in church callings.  It will be OK.

When I take a practice test I write down all the questions I got wrong, or take a screen shot of them.  P has been very patient to go over them with me.  As it is I will be able to score high enough to get into my program.  My pride would like to do better but I accept that I am good enough. 

I hope to apply for a Masters program at Alabama A&M in Speech Pathology.  I like the idea of having a career that is part education, part medical, and that could put me in contact with the deaf population.  I enjoyed being a band teacher.  Some of the things I didn't like discourage me from pursuing that career again.  I only taught for 2 years and the first 2 years were hard.  I think things would get better, but I do have a lot of memories of the hard times, sadly.

No comments: