Thursday, November 10, 2022

Hurricane Nichole and mini smores

 Last month we had Hurricane Ian which changed course and strengthened to a Cat 4.  We put down all the shutters, cars in the garage, bikes in the shed etc...  This time the kids are off school, there is a king tide, and we didn't do any prep.  DST recently ended so I'm up at 6am in the dark and the wind sounds loud.  I wish I could see the trees thrashing in the 30mph wind, but also I'm glad I can't see. 

On Saturday we drove down to Washington Oaks to enjoy the rocks.  It was closed but another beach just south was open.  There was a newly created dune out of orange construction dirt/sand.  There were big batches of seafoam that the kids enjoyed playing in and with.  I suspect the foam was caused by whatever was making the new dune so orange.  LP had been disappointed that she would miss a livestream boadcast by going to the beach, but we insisted and she had a good time.

 On our way back we stopped at River to Sea. The long boardwalk was mostly closed off because the sand was washed away 2 feet below the stairs revealing huge coquina boulders.  B had stepped in fire ants at the previous beach so we didn't pursue playing, just the sight.  

On Monday M and I went to Vilano and the rocks there are submersed in 3 feet of sand.  Just the pointy tops sick out.  This picture from 2015 shows what the rocks usually look like.

Here they are barely sticking out of the sand.

In other news, I was in charge of treats for FHE and assembled mini smore kits for the children.  I even let them toast them over candles, a rare play with fire inside moment for them.



No comments: