Monday, October 25, 2021

one box at a time, or not

 I am doing Noom and sometimes the course asks me to do something like journal or non-food rewards, goals...  It's a lot like Personal Progress, but about healthful growth.  So I made it a goal to consolidate the fabric bins.  I made sure to wait a good 2 days and do other tasks before taking this on.  I dumped the contents of the bins on the office floor (more open since I moved the furniture) and got a trash can.  I made piles to keep, donate, and the trash can.  The things I kept, I rolled into remnants and bound with tape.  What I kept fits easily into the tote I wanted to use.  I threw out a lot of part way done masks and straps for masks.  We have plenty of cloth masks and are using N95s these days anyway.  

I did not get my Young Women in Excellence Award back in 1997.  I don't know if it was my own idea or from a leader, but I thought I had to do something extra for each project.  I couldn't just use my achievements from Track, Drama, Band, Tae Kwon Do, Seminary, or school in general.  Those useful skills would be "cheating".  I had to create some art piece rather than a band performance.  I had to learn something, something new, rather than all the good and new things I was learning... in school!  I try to teach my kids to give themselves credit for the good they are already doing.  If they were trying to use videogame levels for goals, I would be worried.  But if their goal is to learn the cell parts for their biology class, awesome!  If their goal is to learn their piano pieces for their next recital, great!  If their goal is to go on walks with their mom at night wearing reflective vests, OK!  These are the good things we are already doing and I think they are great goals.

No comments: