Sunday, December 27, 2020

Snapshot and comments

 

G eats sausage sandwiches pretty regularly since he wakes up and gets himself ready and on his class before the rest of us are awake.   I'm really impressed at how he's developed this habit.  The other children wanted sausage sandwiches too, and that's expensive and more meat than I want them eating.  So the tradition of Sausage Sandwich Saturday entered our lives.  But then we ran out of sausages.  Ham, egg and cheese sandwiches were still delicious.
This is the table in our front room.  We've got Scripture stories that we use in the morning to sign, and voice interpret.  We've got many Book of Mormons which we've been reading at night this year with Come Follow me.  We've also got many hymn books because we're singing 2 hymns a day.  We've got a ukulele to find the starting pitches.  Puzzles and story books are always around too.

I made these doughnuts yesterday, painstakingly following a recipe!  Crispy Creamy doughnuts they were.  I hope to make a half batch next time.  The kids said they were amazing.  Having had so many treats they couldn't eat all 44!  I saved 30 and filled some with chocolate pudding and raspberry filling.  This morning they were a little critical of the results.  I let them know that their criticisms were not welcome and that they need to be careful to offer feedback that will do good.  It does not good to complain about the doughnuts their mother made.  They won't get their money back.  I'm not going to make them another batch.  Yikes.  They need to be careful to be kind when someone makes them something because criticizing a gift is going to get them a whole lot of nothing nice.

Growing up, my mom invited us to critique her art work and other things.  I know my mom was trying to get a fresh perspective and at best, help us feel like we had worthwhile things to say. I grew up thinking it was ok to give an ignorant opinion.  I see now that it is a horrible habit.  It is important to recognize your own ignorance and not say anything critical of things you know nothing about.  And if you do know something about a subject, hold your criticism for a situation where it would do any good.  Once the food has been made, we are not going to throw it away.  If you want to make it better yourself, keep that comment to yourself and just do it better yourself.

This is a picture of how we watch church at home with the speaker on the big screen and the interpreter on the big ipad.  I'm so grateful that we can watch church and that T S is such a wonderful interpreter.  We are so blessed in this.


No comments: