Tuesday, December 1, 2020

1/3 Recipie

 I'm obsessed with making small batches of dessert.  I regularly divide a cake recipe by the eggs.  Most box cakes call for 3 eggs so I divide the batter into 3 (about 1 1/4 cups) and we make 3 small cakes.  Sometimes I cook them in a bread pan in the toaster oven.  I'm a little obsessed with the economy of it.  I also love for the children to eat the cake and then it is gone after everyone has had a reasonable serving.

I bought 6 inch circular pans so that we can make little round cakes to decorate.  For birthdays we make a whole box of cake mix (!) and make a 3 tier cake.  Wow, so extravagant.  

I recently bought some little pie pans from the yard sale at church.  With my dear in-laws, I will never, ever be responsible for making the holiday pies.  So I donated my 2 regular size pans and have already made 2 pumpkin a pecan and chocolate pie.  I just pinch off 1/3 of the pie dough ball Grandma C gave us (5) and use 1/3 of the recipe I find online.  


 

Moderation is a fantastic thing and I really want the children to learn that a small piece of pie is enough.  A small slice of cake is a treat.  2 cookies is awesome!  

Today I am making a cheese cake in one of the 6 inch circular pans.  I lined it with parchment paper and put it in a water bath.  1/3 recipe looks like this:

10 oz. cream cheese
1/3 c. sugar
1t corn starch
1 egg
2TBS sour cream
1t lemon juice
1/4t vanilla
dash of salt

I used left over chocolate bear crumb crust from the chocolate pie of yesterday.

I stopped eating desserts about 4 years ago.  I'm currently 60 days in to a goal of 200 sugar free days to get a royal blue velvet jacket.  Making small batches of desserts helps me avoid being tempted by left-overs.  Small batch.  Small batch.  Small batch!

No comments: