Thursday, October 1, 2020

Benson

 I saw a quote by Ezra Taft Benson on Facebook about how a government able to give you everything is able to take everything from you.  I don't like these poor shaming quotes and have been thinking about it a lot.  Benson was the Secretary of Agriculture while he was an apostle and he was very conservative.  He was against farm subsidies which I think is the genesis of that quote.  If the government can pay you to not grow crops, they can also control prices and your hard work will never profit you. 

If the government can pay for your health care, they can also tell you that you are not eligible for the procedures you seek.

If the government can educate your child from 4-18, your child will be educated by them.

If the government can discriminate against specific races, or groups of people, they can discriminate against your group of people.

If the government can say that personal decisions about what you do with your body, or who you are legally allowed to love, they will make those decisions.

This works both ways.  I am grateful for government services, and I have benefited from having help.  I'm grateful there is a government safety net and that we don't have to rely on go fund me for everything.

No comments: