Sunday, September 6, 2020

Mom

 My mother passed away on Wednesday.  She got a terminal diagnosis 3 months ago and we went out to Utah in June and July to visit and provide respite care.  She was a great mom.  I have 8 fantastic siblings to share this life with. 

My brother R gave such a beautiful dedication on the grave.  We gathered and the bishop took a family photo.  The service was just family and the bishop.  I am glad we didn't have to bear anyone else's grief or feelings, just our memories and gladness to be together.
My brother D shared a picture mom painted of the sacrament, and these images of the building of the Provo Tabernacle Temple, Wounded, Comforted, Healed.  He spoke of her temple service and how her love of the gospel and freedom let to many missionaries and 2 military service.
Nancy provided beautiful bouquets that she and her daughter M made.  After they lowered the casket into the grave, everyone took blossoms from the bouquets and tossed them onto the coffin.  It was a beautiful way to use the flowers and silently send mom off with beauty.

I will miss my mom but there is no sting in her death.  She has been preparing us for this our whole lives.  She has only stepped into the other room and I know I will see her again.  The after life was never in doubt, the reality of living on was always a certainty.  I'm so grateful for my mother.

She has done the lion share in maintaining our relationship through the years.  When I moved to Florida she would visit us twice a year, coordinating her visits to be here for the birth of all of my children.  She came to visit after I miscarried and several times during G's chemotherapy.  She has sent my children birthday and Christmas presents, come to baptisms and primary programs.  It was a priority to her that the children know her and know she loved them.

No comments: