Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Social Media

I have been on Facebook for years now but hadn't tried other social media apps like Twitter, Snapchat or anything else.  I recently started using a video messaging app and it is pretty addictive.  I want to stay in touch but I also don't want to become addicted.

P told me that when we were engaged, instant messenger was an option but that I didn't like using it.  We didn't even write emails that much.  Mostly we wrote letters and talked on the phone each Sunday for an hour.  I think for me that texting is messaging is both addictive and emotionally unsatisfying.  A letter you can carry around with you (and we didn't have mobile devices 20 years ago).  A phone call you can hear their voice.

I don't particularly like facetime either because you're staring at each other's face but not making eye contact.  And there is a pressure to say something worth having someone stare at your face, for me anyway.

So this video messaging app is super addictive because you can just send messages without the real time use of time, and connection.  You have the benefit of hearing what they're saying and seeing their setting.  It's like all the benefits without the negatives, so super addictive.

No comments: