Saturday, October 27, 2018

Tithing Settlement

On Sunday the Bishop gave an excellent talk.  He started by talking about the Widow of Zarephath and Elijah.  The widow showed faith before the blessing came.  The story of the Widows mite led to a discussion of tithing and how at this time of year we can meet with the Bishop to state that we are full tithe payers.  The Bishop talked about how we can have a sense of joy in fulfilling this obligation.  It was an excellent talk and I was so glad that we were going to have our tithing settlement that very day.

I'm barely getting a handle on paying a regular tithe and feeling sure that I have paid all I should.  Last year we attended tithing settlement with the Bishop late in the year.  We got settled up but the children had no idea if they were full tithe payers or not. 

This year we kept better records of their income but they didn't pay regular tithing.  Before we went to tithing settlement I sat down with each of them and totaled up their income.  They calculated their tithing based off of that. 

When we got to the bishop's office to meet, some of the children had actually paid during the year.  So they had a total figure and were able to subtract previous donations from that.  I felt really glad for them to be able to have enough money in their accounts to pay their tithing.  When the Bishop asked if they were full tithe payers, they weren't sure what to say.  I asked them if they paid what we calculated.  They could respond with growing confidence that they had. 

I don't think I ever kept record of my income until well into adulthood.  Like I said, it's only recently that I don't have some underlying uncertainty about my own status as a tithe payer.

I'm so grateful for tithing and for the inspiration to help the children develop this habit now.  There is joy in paying a full tithe as well as blessings.

No comments: