Saturday, October 27, 2018

Halloween

There have been years where we took the kids to 5+ halloween events.  Between church, library, school, neighborhood, community and co-op, there's a lot to do.  I'm so pleased that this year we just relaxed and did a few events but it wasn't too stressful.

We have this incredible neighbor who put on a science party for the older kids last night.  I cleaned the house in anticipation that some families with younger siblings would come by.  At 6 I took the little boys over to the party at a local church, then we returned to the neighborhood to pick up the big kids.

Today was our neighborhood party and church party.  I decided last year that I was only doing the neighborhood party.  So I just hung out today and then at 2 helped decorate for the party.  M helped with balloons and got to have a great time.  My fun neighbor brought hula hoops and jump ropes.  I brought the parachute and tied the teather ball to a loop so it never went far.  L was at home asleep so I just got to hang out and help with jump rope or parachute.

The older 3 went trick or treating on bikes with their neighbor friend.  I went home and took B and L trick or treating down to the blind corner then back.  Our neighborhood passed out yard signs this year so kids knew which long driveways to go down for candy.  It really increased our feeling of confidence and it seemed like much more households participated this year.

When we got home the kids dumped out their candy on the dining room table.  In past years they gobble it up, start to fight and then I confiscate all the candy.  Last year we budgeted the candy and I know they were looking forward to doing that again.  I commented to P that it was taking them a long time to start fighting.  They never did fight.  They traded a bit, eat a little then started to loose interest.  I began gathering up the candy and there was no protest.  I told them we'd budget it out tomorrow.  I'm so thrilled that this was such a pleasant day.

1 comment:

Utah Valley Artist Guild said...

For the past several years the ward has held a 'Trunk or Treat' on our street but then the kids would still go around door to door. This year they decided to have a costume parade with pizza at one house then disperse for trick or treating. It will all take place on Halloween. I really like this arrangement. I had my grandchildren 'harvest' corn stalks from my back yard and tied them together in seven bundles. Six go on the planters along the fence and one on my front porch. I arranged gourds and a pumpkin at the base of each bundle of corn stalks. It looks fine for Halloween but also serves as a generic fall decoration through Thanksgiving since I didn't carve the pumpkins, hoping they survive to make into pies.