Wednesday, October 31, 2018

The Halloween I love

The van had broken down earlier in the day so a lot of time was eaten up trying to get the tow truck to get the van to the shop.  Then more time to check on it and it still hadn't been picked up.  I had the youngest 3 with me to check on the car and I told them we'd do a little trick or treating on the way home.  L was asleep by the time we left the car unattended again because it was getting so late.   

A friend told us about a very nice neighborhood to go visit.  Our piano teacher had invited us to come to her neighborhood but with the car trouble we didn't think we would.  But as it was on the way home and our piano teacher has said that people on the end really liked getting trick or treaters, we drove by. 

I've judged people for doing the car thing while the kids went door to door.  I am sorry.  It's the best thing ever.  It's especially the best thing ever when a child is asleep.  Letting the children run up to the door alone is so good for them.  Watching their joy as they scamper up and down driveways is really great.

I love how Halloween can bring out the best in people.  Tonight as I took my middle children around their piano teacher's neighborhood, the children ran with delight up to the doors of strangers, and the strangers gave them candy.  We've instituted a practice of candy budgeting and the kids are pretty ok with that.  So the candy the 2 middles brought home was added to the stash after they happily shared some with the siblings that didn't go.


No comments: