Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Fried Chicken

I've never really made good fried chicken but tonight I nailed it! (insert cake wreck pictures of previous attempts).  I wanted to make chicken nuggets after seeing a video about it and reading the vitriolic comments.  I realized I didn't have any eggs too late.  But never to be stopped by silly things like not having basic ingredients, I made a flour mixture that included powdered eggs and it worked great.

I served up a BLT salad and strawberries with this plate of fried chicken and felt like such a great home maker.  I even talked the kids into just eating half of the chicken (still a lot) and saving the rest for later in the week when I won't be able to cook dinner.

Without the lure of binge eating chicken most of us drifted away from the table.  There were still a lot of strawberries and salad and I wondered if I'd made too much "healthy" food.  I came back to the table a little while later to find that the 3 youngest were declaring victory over the salad and strawberries.

Fried Chicken:
2 chicken breasts ~2 lbs cut into pieces the size of pink pearl erasers.
2 cups flour, 1/4c. egg powder, 1 TBS lemon pepper, 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp garlic powder.

Fry until golden brown and dry on a paper bag.  The video I watched recommended the paper bag and I do think it helped make the chicken more crisp.

2 comments:

Okishdu said...

Where are the eggs? Do you dip the chicken pieces n beaten egg before clover ng with the rest of the ingredients?

Lucky Day said...

I used egg powder in the dry mix. I fixed the post to reflect that. It turned out great with a consistency similar to dredged chicken (is that even the right term?) but way less mess.