Thursday, November 10, 2016

realizing my racism

We went on a field trip with our homeschool co-op yesterday.  It was a fun trip and we saw 20+ tigers and other big cats.  During the field trip several of the children were acting childish and disrespectful.  I spoke to them several times to back up the employees instructions.  Their moms were occupied with smaller children or chose not to talk to them about it.  Later as I thought about their behavior I imagined what people would have thought if it had been black children.  I think everyone would have been a lot less tolerant of their disrespect and playing around.  That really struck me to think of my own racism. 

One of the moms is a Trump supporter.  That is what a "great America" means to some people.  An America where people like them can do what they want, and anyone else does not deserve the same license or respect.  This will be a sad 4 years ongoing.

No comments: