Sunday, March 24, 2024

Singing Time Leader

 Around Halloween our Primary President asked me to cover singing time.  The Leader had had a baby and would be out for a couple of months.  When the leader moved at the end of the year I was called.  Once I had the official calling I got serious about cultivating a culture of movement and engaged singing times.  I joined the Sharla Dance facebook group.  I bought the book "To teach a child a song"  After deep diving on the methods I got 10 months planned out go teach all program songs using techniques that appeal to different intelligence.  She has the techniques spelled out in the book and the facebook group (started by fans of her methods) has great discussions and ideas.  It is a joy to prepare the materials.  Melody map, bell charts, patterns to beat sticks with a song, that we use just one Sunday.  Knowing I am just using it one week, I am able to plan exactly that much effort.  Sometimes it does take an hour to make a melody map or a couple of hours to make a bell chart.  It's fun though.  And the children are so engaged. 

No comments: