Thursday, March 21, 2024

Pride and Prejudice

 Our book club read a Jane Austin book, "Persuasion", my first.  I read the wiki summary so I could know what was happening before I began.  Afterward I watched 3 film adaptations.  It was fascinating.

I decided to finally read "Pride and Prejudice" and watched the Kiera Knightly version.  The BBC version had old feelings for me.  I'd first seen it as a Jr. high kid tagging along with my older sisters at their friends house.  Being 13, it seemed really long and confusing.  Over the subsequent 30 years I never did watch the whole thing contiguously.  Even after I had borrowed it from the library, it sat unwatched for a long time.  I watched it this week and really enjoyed it.  

Everyone was so young!  In previous exposures to the film I was 12, or college age.  But now, as I'm the age of the parents in the film it is so amusing.  Now, married for 24 years I watch things differently.  I see the contrast in the actors expressions.  I see the awe and joy when they marry.  It really is a masterpiece.

No comments: