Sunday, March 10, 2024

caramels

 lP wanted me to make caramels.  The first batch was cooked at too high a temperature and wound up as toffee.  I used some of the toffee to make cookies.  I'll keep it in the cabinet to grind up for future cookie batches.

The batch I made today turned out great.  I made a half batch and cooked it at low temperature.  Half a batch is still tons of caramels.


7 oz. sweetened condensed milk (measured by dividing the can into two 1 cup jars)
1/2 c. light brown sugar because I was out of white sugar which it should have been half of.
1/8 c. corn syrup
1/4 c. salted butter
1/8 t coarse salt (I used pretzel salt because I had it)    
     cook for 25 minutes at med-low with it boiling for the last 10 minutes and becoming the color of caramel.

1/2 t. vanilla added and whipped in right before pouring it out onto parchment paper in an iron skillet.  The point of the iron skillet is to help the caramel cool slowly.  If you have a slab of marble, that would be the best thing to use.

They turned out so great.  I'd be willing to do this again some time.  We wrapped some up to take on the road, and set some aside to give to grandma L. 

No comments: