Friday, February 24, 2023

gator hat- There's a talk in that

 When P was in grad school he marched with the gator band.  I made uniforms for the kids and P got extra hats from the band.  I cut down the hats for their wee little heads.  It was so cute.

In 2013 G work the hat to conduct the gator marching band at this epic game.

In 2019 he took it to scout camp and it got lost.  When another scout showed up wearing it during the skits G told me that boy took it.  Really he had found it.   But when I asked the boy to give it back he gave me a story about how his family had lots of those hats.  I could believe that his family did somehow have many Gator Band hats, who knows.  But I could not believe that they had a lot of gator band hats that had the rim trimmed down and hand sown back together.  Because I had been assertive about getting the hat back, another leader suggested that it shouldn't have come to scout camp if it was precious, or at least it should have had a name written in it.  That is certainly true.  So as soon as we got home I wrote our name in all the band hats.

In June 2020 we went to Utah to see my mother who was dying of cancer.  We took home made masks, sanitizing wipes and everything, including the hats.  P took the kids to see waterfalls while I took care of my mom for 3 weeks, taking turns with my sisters.  The hat was lost again but we didn't know it until a friend found it by a river in Utah.  He brought it back to us in Florida.




No comments: