Wednesday, February 26, 2020

big fight

I take G to school and then return about 8 to start the day with the rest of the family.  P is sometimes awake and at work when I come home.  I really like to let him sleep and work, so I don't like to bother him.  He wants us to do scriptures and prayer (bless him) before breakfast.  And the kids all want different things to eat.

So today I was almost done making sausage biscuits ( fancy!) when P came out and asked if we could do scriptures and prayer now.  I paused dramatically and asked if I could have 2 more minutes to finish what I was doing.  He agreed I should finish and re-articulated his preference for doing scriptures and prayer first.

So we gathered and I told P that when he comes out and wants me to immediately change tasks, I feel stressed.  I don't expect him to immediately come away from work.  And he re-articulated that we should do scriptures and prayer before starting breakfast.

After scriptures and prayer I told the kids they had just seen their parents have a big fight, all spoken with respect and calm voices.  It is important for them to know that fighting can be respectful, that you can disagree and feel frustrated, and still act with love.

I told the kids that if they want breakfast, they should ask if we can do scriptures and prayer.  I know that P wants to do scriptures and prayer first so it doesn't get forgotten.  He wants me to interrupt his sleep and work for this priority.

I am grateful for his thoughtful way of living and prioritizing the gospel.  I'm grateful that we don't fight dirty but can talk about things.

No comments: