Sunday, May 13, 2018

trials crashing upon us, pushing us toward home

I recently saved lP from a rip tide.  I didn't know that's what had happened until someone on the beach called me a mama bear and said I'd done a good job of saving her from the rip tide.  So, this is a poignant thing to consider.  Had I not been angry that she wasn't coming when I told her to, would I have waited until it was too late?  I think the spirit gives us courage, and sometimes anger, to act.

The whole experience is an amazing spiritual metaphor.  The waves crashing on you can be alternately exciting or terrifying.  We think that we'll be happier in the place with no waves.  But it is the very waves pushing us toward the shore, that keep you safe.  The place with no waves is the place where water is returning to the sea with equal relentless force as the waves. 

We may get tired of the commitments or expectations and think that life would be easier if we just put ourselves outside the burden of the family, church, or commandments.  In our lives our burdens, trials and weaknesses push us toward a stronger relationship with God.  We stand our ground and endure, or sometimes we cast ourselves upon the wave and ride it in.

No comments: