Saturday, April 21, 2018

Sand pit and together time

 We've lived here for 7 years now and for the last 2 years we've been letting the children enjoy the front yard a lot.  I used to feel self conscious about whether the neighbors would think ill of me if we were seen in the front yard.  But after I started walking I realized that everyone is isolated on their acre of land.  The lawns in the neighborhood are in varying degrees of being covered by trees and leaves.  Nobody is judging my lawn and if they are, too bad.  So we let the kids dig this hole instead of ever building a sandbox.  Surprise, there is sand under the grass.  Recently M and G got very enthusiastic and dug the hole down 3 feet.  The 4 older children got inside and B and P couldn't get out.  So after taking this picture I told them they had to fill it back to a safe depth.
 I love going places with all my children.  Sometimes we part ways or I even leave some kids home with G.  We all went to the park the other day and walked out to the intercoastal.  The tide was as low as I've ever seen it.  The kids went down on the dock and lay down staring into the murky dregs.  They saw crabs, and an osprey catching a fish.  I am so grateful to be raising them in this incredibly beautiful town.  The variety of nature we encounter daily is breathtaking. 
They lined up like this themselves.  I love how P and M are holding on to L.  It was so beautiful.

No comments: