Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Baptism and the Sacrament

 I became aware that, the sacrament renews our baptismal covenant, within the last few years.  I feel sad that I spent so much of my life, in the church, not understanding this.  I'm a primary president so I thought it was important to teach that doctrine to the children.  There is no song that explicitly says there is a connection.  There is also no song that talks about the miracles performed in Christ's earthly ministry.  We have so many songs about being reverent, but why not these doctrines? 

So I am marinating (southern for contemplating) the connection of baptism and the sacrament and want to write a song for primary about it.  Then I thought, "If there's no song about it, maybe I am just imagining this connection because I think it would be nice if there was one."  Thank goodness for LDS.org.  I was able to find several talks about renewing baptismal covenants through the sacrament.  Hurray, I didn't imagine it.  It just took me 30 years to get it.

Here are some excerpts:

Claim the Blessings of your Covenants

"Why does the Savior put so much importance upon the sacrament, dear sisters? What importance does this weekly renewal of our baptismal covenants play in our lives? Do we recognize the ability of the Savior to completely cleanse us every week as we worthily and thoughtfully partake of the sacrament?"

The trials and tribulation that we experience may be the very things that guide us to come unto Him and cling to our covenants so that we might return to His presence and receive all that the Father hath.

We sometimes, as women, have a tendency to be very critical of ourselves. During these times we need to seek the Spirit and ask, “Is this what the Lord wants me to think about myself, or is Satan trying to beat me down?” Remember the nature of our Heavenly Father, whose love is perfect and infinite.6 He wants to build us up, not tear us down.

1 comment:

Okishdu said...

Go for it. Write a song that tells the wonderful truth about the sacrament as an opportunity to renew our sacred baptismal covenant.