Saturday, January 9, 2021

2 days in court

 I spent the last 2 days listening to court proceedings via phone for my dad.  He plans to get married and wanted things changed with the guardianship situation.  His lawyers have always bought into his claim that we wanted to stop his access to scams so our inheritance would not be diminished.   This accusation is so horrible and false.  We are against dad being taken advantage of because it is wrong and he lacks the ability to look out for his best interest anymore.

My sister L made a insight that Dad wants us to value him for his money because it is how he values himself.  I think it's obvious from our life choices that money is not the main motivator in our lives.  Before my mother passed, she gathered the family, that was what she valued most.  She also shared all her favorite hobbies, art, clothes, jewelry with us.  She loved seeing the things she loved, being given to another.  I love having these tangible reminders of her.  I wish I had understood better at the time, the gift of valuing her things, and accepted more.

The Lord says "If you love me, keep my commandments."  Our dad says "If you love me, lust after my money.  Don't look at any flaws I had as a parent or husband."  He sees it as a rejection of him if we say we don't want his money, even as he likes to throw that in our faces, claiming we do want his money.

Money can be freedom, but it can also be captivity.

No comments: