Sunday, January 13, 2019

Personal Progress

M is in YW!  We've made the goal to do the personal progress as best we can for this year.  I'm already planning some of my Value Projects based on 2 big events I'm going to be involved in.  One is to serve on staff at Woodbadge.  Another is to facilitate a Personal Finance class on the web with family that live far away.  These are 2 things that I am excited to do and will take a lot of time. 

I think that when I was young I was often confused.  I was so busy doing band, track, drama, Tae Kwon Do, Seminary, Young Womens and school.  I had the misconception that I had to come up with value projects that were outside these things I was already doing.  I didn't get my YW award.  Looking back, I wish I had understood that I could do the good things I was doing and involve the Lord more in my life by recognizing that doing those things I was already doing were building me in Faith, Divine Nature, Individual Worth, Knowledge, Choice and Accountability, Good Works, Integrity, and Virtue(before it was even one of the values!).

As an adult I know how to do things I didn't know how to do back then, like use a calendar!  M wanted a planner and I wanted her to have a way to track and plan her personal progress so we went on a shopping trip.  We can even call it a value experience because we considered different options and went to another store and got the best value.  Yay for adulting!


I created this chart to get a feel for what takes a long time versus a short time.  M and I are marking on our calendars what we're working on over several weeks.  Right now I'm trying to be more careful with my media choices for a few more weeks. 

It's interesting to me to read these goals and think how easy these things are now that I have 20 years of practice.  Yet there is still room for improvement and it's good to be reminded in areas that may slip!

No comments: