Thursday, November 29, 2018

To Santa or not to Santa

I don't Santa.  I let the kids take turns filling stockings.  They take turns filling shoes for St. Nicholas.  They do not receive mystery presents from "Santa".  They do give mystery gifts to adults and mark it "Santa".  Santa is a game we like to play. 

I recently read of a situation where a teacher had a discussion about different holidays.  Kindergartners were allowed to discuss (shocking) whether their family does or does not practice Christmas, Santa, Hanukah, Diwali, or other holidays.  The person I know was upset that on her child's first day at a new school this discussion led him to be cynical.

Tonight as we set up the Christmas Tree and put on hats and coats lP and B started to play "waiting for santa"  I thought they were just playing.  I had to tell M several times to leave them alone and just have fun.  But lP was too convincing and B went to bed believing in Santa.  I told him "That was a fun game."  And he replied "Santa is real and I believe."  "I believe in God."  I said.  "I believe in God, and Santa, and St. Nicholas.  But Santa is St. Nicholas."

I talked to lP about how she was setting up for a heart ache and that she should not have tricked him into false belief.  I told lP "Good news, we're going to the Zoo tomorrow!"  The girls squealed in delight and then I told them that actually we aren't going to the zoo, and asked them how that feels.

I don't understand the mass insanity of Santa worship.  I'm ok with his being a historically real person.  But why all the fantastical stories and magical acts?  And why is the belief in Santa so sacred when we all know it is an obvious falsehood.  I've heard parents say they never told their children to believe in Santa, but that they did write the child a letter from Santa when they were doubting.  Seriously!  Would you write your child a letter from their girlfriend that wanted to break up, but write them a love letter and say it is from the girl so they can believe a little longer?  Psycho.

As Christians, creating the belief in Santa is encouraging the children to worship a false God.  They are told to be good so "he" will give them presents.  Why do we do this?  And because the worship of Santa is tied to the time we should be celebrating the birth of Christ, nobody can suggest that this is actually something that takes away from the focus on the worship of Christ.  Because... Santa!

What if instead of Santa we worshiped Uncle Sam?  He knows if you've been good or bad and he brings presents on the 4th of July!  Wouldn't that be so cool?

I'm pretty sure I've written before about how the belief in Santa is actually a very useful tool for Satan in destroying faith.  When a child discovers that their parents went to such lengths to foster false belief in Santa, what other beliefs are false, Church?  Morality?

I think encouraging the magic and belief in santa is actually a very selfish act.  It is really cute to see children believe in Santa.  And it's so easy to fan the flames of that belief and continue to see the hope shining in their sweet eyes.  You know it's not going to last forever and parents, selfishly, want it to last a little longer for their own enjoyment.  Obviously this is not an opinion that win friends and influences people.  Go me!

The article of faith for our church that is very useful here is:  We claim the privilege of worshiping all mighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience and allow all men the same privilege.  Let them worship how, where or what they may. 

Happy Holidays!

No comments: