Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Youth Lesson

I'm not in a position to give a lesson to the youth in general right now.  But this is one I would like to give if I had a chance.

Think of someone in the whole world who has it harder than you.
Think of someone in America who has it harder than you.
Think of someone in this city who has it harder than you.
Think of someone in this room who has it harder than you.
Think of someone in your family who has it harder than you.

These are your talents.  What are you going to do with them.  Are you the unwise servant who can only think of 1 person who has it harder than you but sees no reason to do anything about it lest you diminish your own place in the pecking order?

I hate social media, of which this is sort of a social media.  Mostly my kids read it so this is a lesson for them.

What if you are a person who can answer a person for each of those prompts.  With 5 talents what will you take and change so that you can become aware of even more people who have it harder than you.

I see youth with phones staring at their screens for a variety of reasons.  I am glad to be free of the anxiety of hoping a message will come in, anything to escape from the awkward moment of talking to people.  The youth seem to think they are all the one being excluded and don't see how much they exclude each other.

I wonder if things would be different if we had sports teams.  I know that playing sports together as a young women's group really helped me feel close to all the girls.  Camp was great.  I don't feel like we bonded much in Seminary or during weekly activities, except the part where we were hanging out in the hall.  Temple trips helped us bond.  In giving kids social media we give them a curse of too much information about each other.  Our lives should not be open books ready for anyone to see our history and foolishness.  I've FB stalked plenty of people I had no business looking at their pictures and posts, but there they are for my curiosity. 

Savor your privacy and be more open to acting in a Christlike way.

No comments: