Wednesday, August 16, 2017

current times

There are some really terrible hatreds being laid to sunlight in our country and the world.  The group, white people, that has enjoyed power and position for the last 200 years in America is very upset that talent in other ethnicities is no longer under their control.  I've read from people claiming this is just a desire to honor their ancestors.  Fine.  I've also read ridiculous claims like "This country has been 90% white for hundreds of years."  The wealth and power in this country has been held by white people for hundreds of years.  Because our towns and communities are often very segregated it is easy for some people to be completely unaware that there are other races represented in our citizenry.

The church issued this statement quoting Gordon B. Hinckley: “No man who makes disparaging remarks concerning those of another race can consider himself a true disciple of Christ. Nor can he consider himself to be in harmony with the teachings of the Church of Christ.”

“White supremacist attitudes are morally wrong and sinful, and we condemn them.”

A blogger I have been amused to read claims that the church is being hypocritical to have a Polynesian cultural center.  This person doesn't seem to get it that BYU, and BYU-I are European cultural centers.   She must take it for granted that BYU and BYU-I are just teaching what is "normal" or all that is worth knowing.

I loved going to school at BYU.  I value the training and experiences I had there.  My professors were all wonderful Christians and excellent in their field of study.  I studied music and in that field it is particularly obvious that the only history we study is European music history.  That's OK.  Just recognize that European history is already being taught.  It is not an assault on the value of European history to teach other histories as well.

No comments: