Friday, July 19, 2024

Werewolf

 We took care of my niece B last week.  Spending time with her, without the people who usually spend time with her, was eye-opening.  She hasn't spent her whole life getting me to buy treats, so when I say "no" for the 5th time, she stops.  I'm not having conversations with her family so she's not interrupting my conversations with those family members.  I got used to her sense of humor and could appreciate or ignore things like her pretending to want to do something dangerous, or touching wine bottles at the store.  In many ways she seems cognitively like a 5 year old.  Once I made that mental shift it didn't bother me when she asked questions like a 5 year old, or needed help like a 5 year old, or got into things like a 5 year old.  It helped my children to be warned to ignore her vocalizations during scripture and prayer.  They could understand she was just trying to get a reaction.

She missed her family a lot and called them every day.  She started spending more and more time in the beanbag bed before her dad came.  Then she perked right back up.

I've often wondered what is God's plan for people with disabilities?  How is this just?  It's not.  It's not supposed to be.  We are all different, and born into different circumstances that largely dictate what choices we have in this life.  But what choices remain, we are accountable for.  

The kids like to play a game called Werewolf which is a lot like mafia.  I don't like the game because the Werewolf is supposed to lie and say they are not the werewolf.  But that is the game.  That is life.  

We all have different roles that we play during the very brief mortal life.  We close our eyes, and open them not knowing what roles others have, not even knowing what role we have sometimes.  But we are to do the best we can during this life and not be jerks.

In the next life there will be no disability.  We will all be more glorious than we were here.  But we will have to rely on the Savior to atone for the mistakes we made here.

No comments: