Thursday, June 3, 2021

New homeschool group

 Our homeschool group for the past 6 years has been on hiatus during the pandemic.  We had planned to pull away last year to get M ready for High School.  Next year M will be at High School, G will be at a different High School, lP will be at the middle school.  Ack!  We can't handle a co-op with weekly commitments to show up and contribute.  I'm the sort of person who doesn't want to be in a group that I don't show up and contribute to.  

We came across a group that meets weekly for hikes in different areas and you only have to come monthly.  Each mom is in charge of their own kids.  It's just what I need right now.  We've gone to 4 meet ups with them so far and enjoyed getting out into nature.  I don't think the kids have made any friends but they have had fun.  At today's hike we painted, ate lunch, hiked down a sandy embankment, and over to a park.  It was really nice to just bring supplies for ourselves.  It was nice to have a group of people who were doing things we would not have done ourselves; climb over the fence and go down the embankment!  

Meeting new moms is interesting when you're fighting against the impulse to over-share.  I have been a chronic over-sharer.  I love to find something in common with people.  I learned a few years ago that that is a signal of poor boundaries.  It's like putting a sign on your head asking narcissists to come and move in.  "Hi!  I have poor boundaries and am desperate to find connection.  Here are all the details of my life so if you want to pretend to have the same interests as I do, you know just what to pretend!"


 

No comments: