Saturday, May 22, 2021

Museum, Park and Oboe

 Today we went to Gtowne.  We bought an oboe then dropped it off at the music store to get fixed.  The shopping complex where the music store is was having an outdoor festival.   P and I are fully vaccinated so we were not masked.  Most people at this courtyard were also unmasked.  We went into the store unmasked.  It was my first time in a store without a mask.  It felt so rude to not provide some proof that I was being conscientious of those around me.

We met up with grandparents and went to the park to eat lunch together.  It would probably have been a better idea to eat at their house as there were no tables available at the park.  We went to the science museum we never went to before and had fun. 

P talked to S and I talked to C.  C offered to get us a membership to the museum since it was already going to be very expensive for everyone to go.  I thought that was a great idea but then when C talked to P, P said he was going to get a membership to the other museum.  It's like C thinks P and I talk or something... oops.  So we didn't get a membership, but we did have a great time.

We went to the fancy playground we hadn't been to for a long time.  I followed L around and P went to pick up the Sam's Club order.  The teens were over it pretty soon and found a shady place to rest.  

My girls were agitated about children disobeying the "Do not climb" sign on a concrete tunnel.  They are my girls.  Ironically, my children climb on things they probably should not, all the time.  They are strict and loose constructionists.  If something says "Don't climb" they don't climb, but if it doesn't say not to, they do.

We drove home watching Tangled and had a chill evening at home.  I talked to a sister from church and she got me thinking of what I would do if I knew I was going to die soon.  I think I'm pretty fortunate that I do actually get to do what I would do if I were dying soon, every day.  I spend time with my family, love them, and try to instruct them for life without me.  

Our stake president sent out a letter that we could stop wearing masks if we are vaccinated.  Children below 12, not eligible for vaccine are not expected to wear masks.  P and I did talk about this.  He felt we should not wear masks since they only protect others, not our children.  I tend to feel that if it's all I can do, it's all I can do.  But he is right.  My children wearing masks does not protect them.  Going to church, where people are unmasked does not protect my children.  

It is true that they are low risk.  I have showed up weekly for outdoor gatherings with unvaccinated and unmasked people and "graciously" had my children wear masks.  I have sent my children to activities in the church where masks were expected even if some wore them on their chin.  I have showed up to clean the church weekly.  I have done my best to not not let others' choices keep me home.  

I went to church 2 weeks ago, when G and I were fully vaccinated.  I went to church last week but didn't get there in time, so the seats I wanted to sit in were taken, and B didn't have a mask on so we hastily retreated and zoomed from home.  I had planned to go this week, but will stay home.  The people who hate masks, hate the vaccine.  It makes no sense to me, and I don't want to be in the building with a lot of unmasked people until my kids are vaccinated.  I don't know how long that will be. 

The council to let children below 12 go unmasked is not because they are immune, but because the vaccine is not yet approved for them.  I appreciate that this policy puts the onus of masking onto the people who haven't gotten vaccinated.  So now we'll probably not do any more youth activities indoor either.  Just when I thought I could go back, things change.

No comments: