Sunday, September 9, 2018

I am a child of God

When I was young my church leaders taught me to sing a hymn to drive away unrighteous thoughts.  I never imagined that the unrighteous thoughts that would most plague me would be resentment and rage at my children.  Recently I was struggling with so much anger at one of the.  I needed an intervention.  I was inspired to think of the song "I am a child of God" but change the words to:

I am a child of God and He has sent me here.
[He] has given me an earthly home with children kind and dear.

Lead me.  Guide me.  Walk beside me.  Help me find the way [to be kinder].
Teach me all that I must be to live with them again.

We've begun to have media free Sundays.  The kids are starting to accept it and find things to do and read to fill the day.  We actually do things together instead of fight over the computer and get into trouble because of more fighting.  Tonight we played solitaire, 4 of us playing 1 deck of cards.  It was one of the most peaceful evenings we've ever had.  We also had the missionaries over for dinner so it the house was more cleaned up and it was so nice.

1 comment:

Lucinda said...

I've been doing the media-free Sundays for a while. It's so much better. Every once in a while we lapse for some reason, and it's always a good reminder about why it's better to do media-free Sundays.
"Teach me all that I must be to live with them again." Because, on the one hand, you set the tone in your family that invites them to think it would be a good thing to be together forever, and then on the other hand, you show your personal belief that a forever family is what you want.