Sunday, January 24, 2016

being creative

 I made these crayons in December.  Our sweet neighbors gave us a box of old crayons.  I hate crayolas.  I'm a bit of a snob, apparently (surprise! OK, like you didn't know this...) and I just feel like throwing them away when they are broken, or if someone peels the wrapper off.  I had mostly purged our home of the skinny stick crayons before I decided I would like to someday make some molded crayons.  So when they gave us 2 cups of crayons, we decided to make some gator crayons! 

We used jello molds, of which we have 4, so I wasn't going to be sad to have one "ruined" to make crayons.  The kids helped me peel the crayons, what a dream come true for them.  I cut the crayons into little bits to help them melt more smoothly.  I sprayed the molds with cooking spray, and put the molds in a water bath to keep the wax melting even after I took them out.  I microwaved them for about 2 minutes then poked the unmelted bits with a toothpick, to submerse them in the hot wax.  I'm really pleased with how they turned out. 

We were able to make 40+ so we kept one set and gave the rest away to kids at G's birthday party.

P took a picture of these other creations of ours.  It has been a little chilly here lately.  We even saw flurries on the windshield on Saturday.  Our family in DC has 2 feet of snow.  We're chilly. 

I'm very pleased with how these creations are turning out.

1 comment:

Okishdu said...

The Crayons are a cute idea and your kids look really cozy.