Saturday, September 12, 2026

What's Next? School Placement

 The kids are doing good in school.  I spent the last 2 weeks volunteering at a deaf pre-k and getting my audiology hours with an audiologist at the hospital.  One my last day one of the kids from the pre-k came in for an appointment.  We played and hung out so mom and the audiologist could actually counsel.  It was a beautiful way to end my time with both places.  

I'll be going to an elementary school and middle school this semester MTW.  My goal is to get 150 hours which I should be able to get in 11 weeks at 15 hours a week.  I need 244 hours to get my medical placement in the fall.  I need 13:45 hours of child dx speech and 1:40 hours of language dx.  For adult I need 20 hours of speech dx, and tx, 19 hours of adult language dx, and 4:20 hours of language tx.  I have had 2 adult clients so far so I have gotten a good chunk of my language therapy hours for adults.  In my medical placement there will hopefully be plenty of dysphagia hours so I can get what I need.

School is going well.  I like to stay ahead on assignments so it's going to be OK.  This semester is hard but it's OK.  Our new professor has us writing a lot and wants us to do a big research project and presentation at the end.  I'm weird so I say "bring it!" Being an adult in graduate school is great.

Back in the spring I started working on an AAC user that had sign language pictures for icons.  What I love about this is that hearing parents can use this like a dictionary to build sentences.  The app's ability to show the icon with the word removes the working memory burden moving from single signs to phrases and sentences.  I'm so excited about this. I was going full steam for a few weeks but then classes picked up and life.  I submitted the idea as a proposal to a conference and forgot about it.

When G came home I asked him to pick up the project and keep adding signs to the platform.  He's done several pages and it's nice having his help.  A few days ago I heard back from the conference telling me that they would like me to prepare to be a back-up presenter.  They offered me free registration to be flexible.  I wrote back saying I'd like to and asking if my son could also be included since he is working on it and graduated from the school in the town the conference is being held.  They were really excited about that.  So maybe that will happen!  Of course it is the week before graduation but I'll be done with finals and everything will be awesome!

lP is working so hard on her AP US history class.  I'm glad she has the opportunity to work hard.  It's a life skill. She walks home from school several days a week.  She keeps surprising me with different ways that she is shy or doesn't want to do things that are no big deal to me, yet she does other things so easily.

L did not know he was supposed to be doing specific IXL assignments so he is 20 behind! He also didn't know he should do his bellringer work at home.  So we're playing catch up.

M called last Sunday and it was so nice to chat. She has 6 classes, RA, rowing team, life guard, lab assistant, busy and amazing.

B loves being in the band and getting good grades.  We sometimes have some time together in the mornings and we play a round of solitaire together.  He's so fun.

Today was a day of service for our congregation.  P, G, and B went to help someone move.  L and I went to help with clean up of a tree that was cut down for a ward member.  Folks here are so competent.  It's awesome.

No comments: